How to access MP3 metadata in Python
Here we are going to see how to access MP3 metadata in Python in a simple way. We will use the eyeD3 tool.
- It is a Python module that is used to work with audio files.
- It is a command-line program to process ID3 tags.
- Using this, we can extract the metadata like the title of the song, artist, album, composer, release date, publisher, etc.
- Installation: Type the following command in the command prompt.
pip install eyed3
At first, we have imported the eyed3 library. Then we used eyed3.load() to load the mp3 file.
- Syntax: eyed3.load(filename)
To access the meta tag information of an MP3 you have to use the tag object. View the content of the tag using the following.
- audio.tag.title– used to get the title of the song.
- audio.tag.artist– used to get the artist’s name of the song.
- audio.tag.album– used to get the album name of the song.
- audio.tag.album_artist– used to get the album artist’s name.
- audio.tag.composer– used for getting the composer of the song.
- audio.tag.publisher– used for getting the publisher of the song.
- audio.tag.genre– used for getting the genre of a particular song.
- audio.tag.release_date– used for getting the release date of the song.
Now, we have a look at the program.
import eyed3 audio=eyed3.load("Maacho.mp3") print("Title:",audio.tag.title) print("Artist:",audio.tag.artist) print("Album:",audio.tag.album) print("Album artist:",audio.tag.album_artist) print("Composer:",audio.tag.composer) print("Publisher:",audio.tag.publisher) print("Genre:",audio.tag.genre.name)
Title: Maacho - SenSongsMp3.Co Artist: Shweta Mohan, Sid Sriram, A.R. Rahman Album: Mersal (2017) Album artist: Vijay, Kajal Agarwal, Samantha, Nithya Menon Composer: A.R.Rahman Publisher: SenSongsMp3.Co Genre: Tamil
I hope that you have learned something new from this post.